Want to watch your favorite shows in another country? VPN used to be the solution for customers in the UK and the United States to watch their favorite programing in a different country but even Netflix has imposed restrictions for VPN users. Users are now getting around these new measures by utilizing Smart DNS which scrambles the user's IP address (which causes the user's location to be unidentifiable as well) and bypasses the country's geographic restrictions.
Setting Up Smart DNS
Interested in using Smart DNS but can't figure it out? It really isn't as complicated as it may seem. The first step users should take is to:
- Verify your IP address with your provider on their website. The process itself does vary by which provider you have chosen
- After you have verified your IP address you'll want to right click your wi-fi or ethernet icon in your system tray. Click on the option for "Open Network and Sharing Center".
- Right beside Connections, click on the link provided for "Wi-Fi" or "Ethernet".
- Next click on Properties.
- Uncheck the Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
- Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then choose Properties
- On the bottom portion of the next window select "Use the following DNS server addresses:"
- Enter in your Smart DNS's US based server addresses and select "Okay"
- Restart your computer.
The above steps will allow users to watch Netflix as if in the US.
Why Smart DNS is the Ideal Choice
In the past VPN was just as good of a choice to watch foreign shows as Smart DNS however, it does not allow the user to change IP address which is why it is becoming blocked by more and more providers (leaving foreign users both furious and frustrated).
Smart DNS has been underwire more recently regarding Netflix users as Netflix turns to tracking its customer base. Other providers still allow users to utilize Smart DNS but the selections are shrinking as more and more restrictions are placed upon select geographic locations.
Although VPN is being forced to make its way out to be replaced with Smart DNS, many users are now discovering Smart DNS to be blocked as well. Luckily, there is a solution: TrickByte. With this provider users can utilize either VPN or Smart DNS to watch just about anything in any country. Users can enjoy their favorite shows from Netflix, Hulu, BBC, ITV, Sling, and more.
Browsers supported by Smart DNS are many. These include but are not limited to: PS3 or PS4, Smart Phone, Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire TV and more. Operating systems that are compatible with TrickByte are: Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Mac OSX. See Trickbyte's website for more information on how to get started. The service isn't free but it isn't unaffordable either making this provider one of the ideal choices for many users.